June 2013 Newsletter
Events: All events are free and open to the public
Our meetings cover babywearing 101 and safety, offer one-on-one assistance, provide opportunities to try on different types of carriers, and foster community building with babywearers of all skill levels. If you are not a member of the YMCA, and it is your first visit, please stop at the front desk to fill out a waiver form. You will need a picture ID and have your picture taken. For future visits you will only need to show ID and sign in. To save time, print and fill out the waiver form in advance: http://www.ymcapkc.org/files/library/ef6d2177fd31b30b.pdf
*weather permitting – check our Facebook page or group the morning of the play date for a weather update!
SAVE the DATE – Sunday July 21st
We’re planning a day of babywearing fun for the whole family! Think field day games with a babywearing twist, such as tug-o-war with a chain of woven wraps!
We will also be doing a lot of fundraising during field day to raise funds for our lending library that is almost ready to commence!
- We now have a blog! It’s still a work in progress, but we will have lots of good information on it soon, such as lending library rules and forms, calendar of events, workshops and more! Check it out: http://bwikitsap.wordpress.com. Please make sure to join our FB group as well to connect with other local babywearers!
- Theresa McGuirk & Desiree Rios are both now accredited Volunteer Babywearing Educators (VBE) through Babywearing International! After completing a written application that tests their knowledge of babywearing safety, proper carrier usage, and trouble-shooting, each VBE then completes an hour long live assessment with a Master Babywearer that demonstates their ability to use the all the major types of carriers in each position. Congratulations ladies!
- Farewell Stephanie McAdams! Stephanie was one of the co-founders and leaders of Kitsap Babywearers. She and her family are re-locating to Maryland this month, and Stephanie plans to become a VBE for the local BWI chapter there. We wish you best of luck Stephanie! Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to this group! You will be missed!
Donations & Volunteers:
- Donations of goods and/or services to raffle off during Babywearing Field Day on July 21st. All funds raised will go directly to building our carrier lending library!
- People to help organize and plan field day, in addition to volunteers to help day of to set-up/breakdown, man booth, oversee games, etc.
- Donations of carriers for our lending library or a mother in need are always welcome.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help with anything on this list! Thank you!
Buy, Sell, Trade Carriers
If you are looking to buy a used carrier from a local babywearer, or are in the market to sell or trade, we have a document you may edit and comment on in our Facebook group, or come to a meeting and check out the For Sale table. Please see a group leader if you are adding items to the sale table prior to the start of the meeting.
*Any DIY carriers must be approved in person by a group leader to confirm the carrier’s safety prior to listing for sale at a meeting or on the Facebook group. Please email us to make arrangements.